Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Free Spirit?

I heard the term "free spirit" used the other day and it made me wonder, how should one interpret this term? Should it be considered a compliment or an insult? I ask this question because I looked up the definition of this term and dictionary.com describes it as follows:

1) a person with a highly individual or unique attitude, lifestyle, or imagination; nonconformist.
2) one who is not restrained, as by convention or obligation; a nonconformist.
3) someone acting freely or even irresponsibly

Now these definitions lead me to the conclusion that unless you want to be viewed as irresponsible, highly individual, not restrained and of course a nonconformist than this is an insulting term. If a person has a college degree, works in an office setting, has many hobbies and interests but has a specific career goal - does that make them a "free spirit"?

No comments: